PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL online question bank
View Single Post
Old 21st Jan 2017, 16:31
Pickledswede

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gertrude the Wombat
Alternatively (someone has to say this each time this topic is raised) you could just learn the subject, then you'll be able to answer questions on it.
I agree whole heartedly with this. One thing I promised myself when I started studying for my PPL was that I would never learn a question bank.

To be clear, I interrogated every chapter of the Pooley's books before moving on to the next, and didn't use any testing software until I had finished reading.

Mock tests are invaluable in preparing for exams because otherwise, despite knowing the information, you can be completely surprised by the format of the questions. We see this from a very young age. Has anyone in the UK school system ever taken an exam without sitting a mock version?

My concern was that the airquiz site in particular covered information which was not covered, alluded to or referenced in the Pooleys books.

Whenever I get a question wrong on any of these sites I go back to the books and other sources of information until I understand my mistake. On a number of occasions I have spent hours poring over SERA and the ANO to get the understanding I need in the intricacies of some of these questions.

This in depth knowledge is not tested in the exam, nor is it particularly useful to a pilot practically.

In reality, the questions often focus on elements of the syllabus which are fundamental to safe aviation and therefore I think that a student would be foolish not to use one of these testing sites, so long as it is used correctly.