PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AAIB January 2017
View Single Post
Old 21st Jan 2017, 10:41
Hughes500

Received 44 Likes on 26 Posts
Right guys the student i was flying with has over 400 hours has done his CPL course in this country, failed his CPL skills test ( 3 times ). He asked for some refresher training on VOR ( having had a very lengthy brief on VOR's tracking etc etc )and some general handling. I asked when coming back into the circuit what the Vne on a 300 was, big pause, obviously didn't know, looked at gauge and then gave the wrong answer. Decided at that point well lets look at an emergency, I like stuck pedals as it puts the pilot under a bit of pressure, but allows quite a lot of time to think about a solution. It also shows when coming into land how much confidence the pilot has and what finesse he has on the controls. Forgive me HC if I was a passenger and this guy as a CPL or even a PPL the last thing I want to hear his I don't know, couldn't even work it out. had a lengthy debrief about this and other emergencies. During this debrief it became evident that his training ( FAA licence ) and his UK CPL training was woeful. Thankfully it has been caught by various examiners.
Sorry to disappoint you HC but I will continue to show those I fly with where I have got things wrong, yes including flying in bad weather, a settling with power incident while long lining, an engine failure at 80 ft and 30 kts and loads of other things.
If showing someone stuck pedals, an EOL, flying at MAUW, flying in 1500m viz helps saves someones life one day then I will be a happy bunny. Having had a student / friend kill themselves from a 500 ft high hover really sharpens the mind as to what one teaches and concentrates on. If you teach / show people, things that hopefully they never need then maybe one day it might make the difference between walking away or not.
Sorry if English is not great writing in a hurry !