PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QF 7879 routes
Thread: QF 7879 routes
View Single Post
Old 21st Jan 2017, 10:15
IsDon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by C441
IsDon: I think the point he's trying to make is that under the previous 767 award doing the hours and sectors that the 787 is going to do, the take home pay would be greater. Mind you, the divisor would also be at least 25% higher to accommodate the extra hours the 787 award can squeeze into 56 days.
Yes mate, I know what he's getting at.

This argument has been done to death many times during the roadshows and has been shown, time and again, that it is an irrelevant argument.

The 767 could not do the length of sector planned for the 787. So it doesn't matter what arrangements were in place for the 767 as the 787 is doing entirely different flying.

What is important is takehome pay and the days at work needed to achieve it. On balanced argument the 787 is ahead of the 767 by a mile and the 330 by a small amount.

What I will grant you is that if the 330 were doing the same ultra long haul legs that the 787 is initially doing then yes, you would be getting paid more courtesy of the overtime. Fact is the 330 couldn't do this flying even if it wanted to as it doesn't have the legs. A similar moot argument as the 767.

If, however, you take a longer term think about where we'll be in five years or so, you would realise that it makes sense for the company to start replacing the 330 with the 787. It makes no sense operating two fleet types when the 787 can do all of the 330 flying, as well as the ultra long haul that will make up the initial routes, and do it more efficiently. The 787 has a lower operating cost per hour than the 330 with other gains in the economy of scale of operating one fleet instead of two, crewing, engineering, spares inventory etc. The companies own data showed a 25% efficiency gain over the A330. I don't believe that for a second, but 5% certainly. I reckon if it was even 1% more efficient then the 330 will be the next dying fleet. This is where anyone flying the 787 will be streets ahead. Once it starts operating on routes into Asia, and even domestically eventually, on routes that don't attract overtime on the 330 now, those flying it will be significantly better off.

Last edited by IsDon; 21st Jan 2017 at 11:23.