PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AAIB January 2017
View Single Post
Old 21st Jan 2017, 08:59
HeliComparator

Received 39 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Hughes500
Well HC and Alpha time for me to give up then, hope I never get to fly with either of you as quite frankly your views send a shudder down my spine. I can only take from your views that we don't teach anything to do with what if scenarios or anything to do with safety.
As I am obviously crap at my job could you please tell me what you would like me to teach when it comes to emergencies ? I have left my brain behind ?
Whether you are so crap at your job as to need to give up I don't know, it would be unreasonable to make a call based on an Internet forum. But to answer your questions I'd say we should be teaching stuff that in the real world is likely to cause a pilot to come to grief and how to deal with it so it doesn't. So for a new PPL, distractions and interference from a passenger must surely be high on the list. Could you cite any PPL accident say in the last 10 years where jammed yaw pedals was the cause?

And on a related point, you say this was a training flight. A refresher training flight should start in the briefing room where you review what you are going to do, what you expect from the student, covering theory and practice and thus getting a feel for what the PPL knows and maybe doesn't know. Then you go on the TRAINING flight and put it into practice. Just flying along and thinking up some pat emergency drill and then bollocking the guy when he gets it wrong is a testing flight, not a training flight. With the former approach the PPL will hopefully go away having learned something and will respect you for helping him. With the latter he will consider that the aim of the flight was for you to demonstrate how much cleverer you are than he is and he will go away having learnt only that the instructor is an a**e.

Edited to say DB beat me to it and put it so much better!