View Single Post
Old 21st Jan 2017, 03:47
FRQ Charlie Bravo

Location: ˙ǝqɐq ǝɯ ʇ,uıɐ ʇɐɥʇ 'sɔıʇɐqoɹǝɐ ɹoɟ uʍop ǝpısdn ǝɯɐu ɹıǝɥʇ ʇnd ǝɯos
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmmm. Another thread?

Originally Posted by KayPam
Hello

My current plan is to train under EASA rules and to work in Europe for an airline within the next two years (hopefully).
However, if that did not work, I would be very tempted to go abroad (outside of Europe)
Having spent almost six months in Sydney I must say I loved most of it (except the cost of living)

Is there any chance that an Australian airline would recruit a European pilot ?
Not necessarily Qantas.
By the way, is an Australian pilot career more similar to an European or to an American one ? (do cadets get to fly airbus aircraft or do they have to log thousands of hour on smaller A/C before doing so?)

I heard that two major criteria for immigration were english proficiency and academic qualifications, and I tick both squares. Other squares to tick would be.. licence conversion and getting hired ?

Thanks
Hi KayPam,

I'm not sure that you've found the right thread for this question however I couldn't find the right one myself (I went back to Oct 2013).

If you can work in Europe that's a great start. You will see turbines much much sooner than you would in Australia but always beware the wages and conditions.

Once you have some turbine experience you MAY find something in Australia but to be sponsored for a working visa it'll have to be the right experience on the right aircraft (think European pilots rated on the ATR-72 about 5 years ago with Virgin and the then-Skywest).

Aviation in Australia is cutthroat and usually, though not always, involves low pay in light aircraft single-pilot operations from regional or remote towns (and regional in Australia is not the same as regional in more populated continents).

You could look at paid cadetships but I'm not sure about immigration implications with that and you'd need a big chunk of cash.

Best of luck but again, I think you might get more information on some other thread.

FCB