PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Age Concern: Am I too old?
View Single Post
Old 17th Aug 2003, 16:49
Whirlybird

The Original Whirly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In November 2001, with 185 hours and a brand new CPL(H), I phoned an acquaintance who's a North Sea helicopter pilot. My plans had always been to instruct part time; I didn't want a new career, just an addition to the old one. But people told me they were recruiting, so why not check it out, I thought. She said they were indeed recruiting, and my age (I'm considerably older than you, but I don't give away my age on PPRuNe ) wouldn't go against me. She invited me to visit and take a couple of trips out to the rigs to see what I thought of the life, and it was arranged for early December.

By the time I got there...December 4th 2001 I think...everything had changed, in the aftermath of 9/11. The North Sea companies now wanted pilots to get their own instrument ratings, and even then there was no guarantee of a job. She apologised for dragging me up to Aberdeen, but I didn't mind; I had a break and a couple of trips out to the rigs...and although I thoroughly enjoyed the experience, I decided I probably wouldn't have liked it long term anyway.

But she said exactly what Heliman01 just has - tomorrow they could be recruiting! Since then things have not improved...but they could. Just don't rely on it.