PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - History of Flight talk - Help required
View Single Post
Old 20th Jan 2017, 20:59
9 lives

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Genghis has made me think - again....

And I see it a little differently... I was inspired growing up, but it was not so much by what people imagined, but by what they had achieved, so history. The development and testing of aircraft, and the tales of those who flew those aircraft in important roles. And, the Thunderbirds.

I've known a lot of aviation people who entertain and seek to inspire (with all good intention) by what they imagine for the future. But, I was attracted by the people who could well me about what had happened, and the effort and dedication to get there. We were let out of school early enough to fast walk the mile and half home from school to watch the first lunar landing. That was inspiring, but what I really recall was captivating was the design and construction of the space suits. They had done it, designed them well, and they worked. Their first true test was life and death.

We need new minds to imagine the future, and we need new minds to be captivated by what has been done, and how it worked, so it is retained as foundation knowledge upon which to build, so we don't have to learn it again.

One day, airplanes will be so automated that their pilots will honestly wondered how we managed to keep a taildragger straight on the runway, or judge a flare - some inspired minds figured out how to automate those functions. But we will still need people who have the inspired foundation knowledge of how to fly needle, ball, and airspeed, appreciate the merits of a biplane, and drive a car with a standard gearbox!

So inspire them with the future Rod, but on the foundation of what so many have accomplished thus far!