PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Unpublished let-downs
View Single Post
Old 19th Jan 2017, 18:44
alex90

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was under the impression that Instrument Flight Procedures for RNAV/GNSS approaches were now considerably more accessible than they once were. I have been told that having a GNSS approach would considerably reduce the cost of running and maintaining real beacons, but more importantly, that these approaches were not as expensive as first thought to get approved.

I remember being given a ballpark (which stayed in my mind for some time), in the order of £40-50k for the airport survey, IFP GNSS design, UK CAA paperwork, validation flight, risk assessment, proposition for airspace changes, CAA charges and risk assessments. For 2 reciprocating runways.

I assume that these costs vary wildly depending on many many factors of course, but at a cost of £50k the question is: How much do you value using an airport / aerodrome on days where clouds are at or below MSA - if this is of high value - how much do you value your life? And how much have you spent on your aeroplane? Is it worth invalidating your insurance to attempt the descent? Surely just a small group of owners could easily get together at smaller fields to purchase a published instrument approach - maybe even striking a deal with the airfield re: landing fees being waved or IFR approach fees being paid back to them when it has been used by others... etc...

I would not descend below MSA, unless in an emergency of course (ie: engine failure) if I was not on an approach! I would seriously question the sanity of anyone who would!!