PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Unpublished let-downs
View Single Post
Old 19th Jan 2017, 14:39
sapperkenno

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having flown a lot in and around Phoenix, Arizona, the prevalence of GPS/RNAV approaches (even 10 years ago), in a state well known for hardly ever having poor weather... almost every airfield with any sort of published approaches had one. From the smallest private air park to almost every municipal airfield as well as Sky Harbor.
I won't go on too much about training and being tested on GPS approaches during my US instrument rating, and more recently doing my EASA CBIR have to re-learn 20 ways to skin a cat and fly a textbook NDB hold - with no mention of GPS, and this despite training on a G1000.
Now having worked as an FI in the northern U.K. for the last 4 years, I know only of Blackpool, and I think Manchester in this neck of the woods that have these procedures... Sherburn and Leeds East keep promising their's, which never seem to come.

The problem wouldn't happen to be our CAA now would it, and the massive costs to approve such approaches?

To answer your "what does everyone think" I'd say the problem lies with our legislators and their archaic ideas of what should be trained/tested for the instrument rating, and how much they charge to approve such procedures... much easier to prohibit GA further, and stick to systems which in all fairness aren't broke, so don't really need fixing! As long as CAT is looked after, and only a few GA pilots are killing themselves every few years, and not wiping out loads of people on the ground, nothing will change.