PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Martin Baker to be prosecuted over death of Flt Lt. Sean Cunningham
Old 19th Jan 2017, 13:26
MACH2NUMBER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am obviously a bit old fashioned. Safety Cases came in, possibly in the late 90s, not sure, but I sat on ejection seats for 40 years, not just MB, but also Folland and ACES 2. I recall safety being absolutely drummed in to us in initial training and beyond. Particularly partial pin insertion and crotch strap positioning. I don't recall many or any such cases like this one.
This was an absolute tragedy and I do not blame Sean in any way. Despite all the training, I managed to get airborne on a live Q scramble with the straps completely wrong and the seat live. With some trepidation on the climb out, I made the seat safe, unstrapped and did it properly. Things can screw you up and I was lucky nothing else happened. Will a safety case make you absolutely safe or is it just a legal requirement? I don't know.
What I do know is I am grateful for the security that an ejection seat gave me and was happy to sit on one despite its own inherent dangers.