PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SOUTHEND 5
Thread: SOUTHEND 5
View Single Post
Old 19th Jan 2017, 09:39
DC3 Dave

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LTNman
Just can't see this working as a long haul connection route and it is a fantasy to consider it could. It will take time to build up passenger numbers but with Crossrail opening next year Heathrow will be a more versatile option for most with trains running every few minutes rather than hanging around for a flight connection at Manchester.

Remember Shenfield to Heathrow will be only a 75 minute journey, which will be quicker than checking in at Southend and waiting for the departure and that is before you add the flight times which will show as an hour. Also can't see a Southend air route competing on fares with a cross London rail route so forget the long haul option.

There might be a demand for a Manchester service for people wanting to go to the North of England on business but I would think there would be more of a demand for an Edinburgh domestic service for no other reason than it is a lot further away.
I must respectfully challenge the idea that there's no advantage in using SEN rather than LHR to travel to Manchester from Shenfield. You seem to have discounted the fact that you also have to get to the gate and wait for departure at Heathrow.

You rightly say it will take 75 minutes to travel to LHR, but it will only take 28 minutes to SEN. We know the earliest you can arrive at SEN is 0647, you will probably be able to get to LHR around half an hour before that.

You will not be able to travel directly from Shenfield to LHR until December 2019.

I think I've mentioned before that it's much easier to travel from South Essex to destinations served by the East Coast mainline from Kings X than it is to cities on the West Coast mainline from Euston (If anyone doubts this try it with a case in the morning peak). Crossrail will not serve either station. So there are reasons why a regular route to the North West from SEN might appeal to some.

Now, having waffled on about the case for SEN-MAN, I have to say there has been precious little evidence in the recent history of London Southend of commuter routes working. And without meaning to be rude, how many people want a short break in Manchester! Having said that, I would love to be wrong. A successful domestic route could open up many possibilities