PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Historic Overweight C130 Incident
View Single Post
Old 18th Jan 2017, 22:13
NutLoose

Received 2,935 Likes on 1,250 Posts
Had to find a solution to a similar solution in Bermuda a few years ago when a structural fuel leak necessitated fully draining the aircraft. No defuelling facilities available, and definitely none that would take 72 tonnes. We proceeded to increase the island's carbon footprint somewhat by burning the stuff in a corner of the airfield over the course of 2 days. Not in a bonfire either.

When Hunting were shutting up shop, they had the damned Electra's sitting on the compass bay burning and turning for the same reason, day in and day out, and I wasn't talking about a lone aircraft, they simply had nowhere to put it and their bowser was being sold empty!.

The worst I saw weight wise were Nigerian's and we were banned from assisting them because we could become liable if anything happened, they used to stock up on anything that was hard to come by at home from cases of bog roll to sanitary products and nappies.
I watched them fill a Lear 35 and I mean fill, until the poor thing was groaning at the seams, they left a gap at the front about a foot high and lifted the pilot in so he could slide across all of this stuff and drop into the cockpit.
It departed to Stanstead I think to refuel, and upon landing, the nose wheel steering system gave up the ghost because of the weight it was trying to turn, we had an Engineer who was told to travel down to look at it, he refused as overtime meant he ended up losing money because of the tax, he was told it was his job on the line and was told he would go take a look or be sacked.... fair play he did just that, arrived, walked up to the aircraft, took a look, agreed with the pilot, it was indeed U/S and departed for home leaving the pilot and dead aircraft behind for the weekend...... oddly enough they never tried to send him again..

The other that stands out was a Nigerian King Air, they used to arrive, the crew would get in, the cabin was filled with everything including TV's all the way to the back bog, the Eng would then sit on the said bog and extra stuff was packed in to the door.. often they would still be left with the odd item they couldn't physically get in, but it wasn't for trying, it would then depart..

Some of the stuff we used to get was something else, we did a Nigerian HS125 and the first thing we did was call Rentokil, they would toss a bug bomb inside it then leave it a couple of days, they were something else, I mean a lot of the screws in the leading edges were predrilled, IE they had drilled the knackered screws out and used an easy out to get them out...... then an easy out to reinstall them!!!!! ahhh happy days.

Last edited by NutLoose; 18th Jan 2017 at 22:44.