PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tigerair Bali flights grounded
View Single Post
Old 18th Jan 2017, 07:17
Icarus2001

Received 247 Likes on 107 Posts
It would be interesting to know the legal position
If you read the fine print that EVERYONE agrees to when they buy tickets on line you will see that they pretty much guarantee to do absolutely nothing.

https://www.virginaustralia.com/au/e...s-of-carriage/

11.1 We will use all reasonable endeavours to provide to you the mode of transport or services the subject of the Booking but, in circumstances beyond our
control, we may without notice substitute other means of transport or service.
11.5 We may need to cancel or delay and reschedule flights or services due to industrial action, landing restrictions, airport loading restrictions, unsuitable weather conditions, technical problems, operational reasons, or any event beyond our reasonable control, and scheduled flight times or destinations are not guaranteed. Subject to the consumer guarantees referred to in paragraph 2.4 and to the extent permitted by any applicable Laws, we are not liable for any Loss which you may incur as a result of any such delayed or rescheduled flight or service.
11.6 Compensation

If you suffer Loss as a result of Events Within Our Control, you may be compensated by us in accordance with our Customer Service Plan (when applicable) or Guest Compensation Policy.
These are from the VA website but most carriers are the same.

The interesting event a few years ago in Europe ws the volcanic ash cloud. If I remember correctly Ryanair would not refund passengers as they said it was "beyond their control" however the UK and EU have some robust passenger protections so they lost. Here it is...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...les-court.html

I am amazed at the lack of consumer protection for airline passengers in Australia compared to the EU, I guess that is the value of lobbyists.