PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Which Aerodrome Mk III
View Single Post
Old 17th Jan 2017, 21:19
India Four Two

Received 75 Likes on 46 Posts
JENKINS,

Well done. Vegreville, Alberta (CEV3). A correct if somewhat cryptic reply. Now to the 'why'.

My gliding club was leasing a Motorfalke. I went to Cold Lake (CYOD) where it was based, to get checked out by the owner and then fly 230 nm home to Airdrie (CEF4). I did my checkout using a taxiway for touch and goes, while a CF-104 was doing circuits on the runway to my right. An impressive sight!

My flight home was on a Sunday and back in those days, there was no self-serve Avgas available, so I was advised the only option for refueling was Vegreville.

Vegreville is one of the larger communities in an area east of Edmonton that has a significant Ukrainian population. Driving in that area, you could be forgiven for thinking you were in Ukraine. Every small town has an onion-domed Ukrainian church. My next clue was going to be this:

Vegreville has the world's largest Ukrainian Easter Egg (Pysanka).

The fellow on the radio had an extremely strong Ukrainian accent and his English was extremely difficult to understand, even face to face, as I discovered when he came to the fuel pump!

An interesting flight for lots of reasons. Being a good thermal day, I dolphined under the good clouds and managed to increase my ground speed to a blistering 80 kts!

JENKINS has control and needs to tell us more about his 'chum in the cockpit'.

Last edited by India Four Two; 17th Jan 2017 at 21:36.