PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Instructor Checkout
View Single Post
Old 17th Jan 2017, 17:44
9 lives

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks BEagle, that clears things up!

If any pilot, let alone an instructor, got themselves in trouble mixing up knots with MPH, or grabbing the wrong knob, they really should not be solo yet. If I'd crashed a plane for a speed units error, I'd be trying to think up a lie for a way better sounding reason than that!

In Canada, privileges are about the same as what N5296S describes, other than we do not have such a thing as a tailwheel endorsement either, just jump in and fly it if you like (insurance, notwithstanding).

My first flights in Tomahawk, Bellanca Viking, Twin Comanche, Found Amphibian, and Piper Navajo, Piper Dakota, Piper Turbo Arrow 4, Tiger Moth, Cessna 206, Ercoupe, Piper Super Cub, Piper Colt, C 172 taildragger, Cessna 305, and Cessna 182 amphibian were all solo flights, as in each case, there was no other pilot available to check me out.

In the case of the 182 Amphibian, I learned of the silliness of EASA differences training regulation. I was told in Norway by the CAA staff member there that in addition to it being a complex aircraft, and seaplane, it also required differences training as it is glass cockpit. Strangely, even though the Norwegian owner, whom I was training in it, did have the glass cockpit differences training in a G1000 172, that did not count toward the 182 as a seaplane. He would have to get seaplane glass cockpit differences training. As a look came over the face of the NCAA guy explaining this to us, I asked if he was serious. He actually paused, and re read the EASA requirement to confirm that it was indeed true. He seemed as stupefied to tell us, as I was to hear it! I replied by saying: "where do I sign for him, 'cause I'm the only other insured pilot of this plane, and it's probably the only glass cockpit amphibian in Norway!". I believe that the NCAA guy decided that this did not need to be an issue, and we heard nothing more about it....