PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Historic Overweight C130 Incident
View Single Post
Old 17th Jan 2017, 13:32
BEagle

Received 271 Likes on 110 Posts
By the time the Flt Eng and then the Captain had asked me to chuck a bit of extra fuel on-board and hide it, the fuel state on the 10 was often higher than it was supposed to be.

I recall coming out of Dulles late one night, with a full load of pongos. When the Air Engineer checked the fuel, we were over max ramp weight... All because the bone idle GE hadn't been monitoring the refuelling panel to check that the fuel quantity from the bowser was being correctly loaded. Why he signed for more fuel than had been requested, I cannot imagine - I suspect he was hoping that no-one would notice...or care.

What to do now.... Fortunately we weren't over the MOS max ramp weight which had been approved for the South Atlantic around 20 years earlier, but that was a 'war only' clearance. So, 'invite' the GE to arrange for defueling to the correct weight, but keep the pongos on board as there would be less fatigue on the aircraft than if they all trooped out, bouncing the jet on its undercarriage as they went. It would also mean that they would be less grumpy!

Dulles weren't terribly happy at having to find a bowser though...