PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Photochromic lenses
View Single Post
Old 17th Aug 2003, 01:38
Andrew M

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Photochromic lenses

(I am unsure if this should be in private flying or not, but it is a medical related topic - I'm sure if this forum was inappropriate one of our helpful mods could move it - thanks !)

I went for my first eye test in ages, before starting a PPL. Luckily, my prescription was only negative 3 diaoptres for both left and right eyes - which to my knowledge is good enough for a CAA class one medical. That is good news

The optician said my colour vision was excellent too. You'll all know the test with the numbers inside the circles with the various red and green colours ? Well, I managed to read the numbers immediately when looking at the book - all I might need to do now I work on my fitness levels

Now on to the point I was going to make - I understand that glasses are ok, however, a lot of pilots wear sunglasses. (It is part of the stereotypical image after all !). I was just wondering if the photochromic lenses (the kind that adapt to prevent glare when the lens detect UV rays) are certified for corrective vision ?

I don't suspect that there would be any problems, providing the back-up pair of glasses were ordinary single vision lenses ?

(This is initially for a Class 2 medical)

Thanks,
Andrew