PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - E190 near collision Mildura May 16 - ASI bulletin 56
Old 17th Jan 2017, 10:35
Compylot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No, I don't.

I fly aircraft into plenty of OCTA aerodromes, when I hear them coming in I give them a wide berth.

Well what do you want? A tower? A radar/control service to the ground? Stump up the cash and you can have either or both of them
Porter I can understand your frustration and commend your vigilance and awareness when it comes to separating yourself from high performance jet aircraft at uncontrolled aerodromes.

Unfortunately, for every pilot such as yourself who is on the ball, it seems there are another two who aren't.

The reasons for this are many and varied and may include such elements such as lack of appropriate training, inexperience, deferral (that the jet can 'see' you), lack of situational awareness and even insolence.

I believe that at any aerodrome where RPT jet aircraft tangle with general aviation there should be at minimum a directed control service for at least the periods where RPT aircraft arrive and depart.

Some may point out that in other parts of the world this isn't needed.

However, I would point out that within the unique environment we operate in Australia (large distances between populous capital cities and very small, isolated and scattered regional centres) the potential for conflict with inexperienced general aviation aircraft and the once or twice a day jet RPT service is great and it's only the relatively low frequency of flights that has precluded a major disaster such as what nearly happened in this incident.

Unfortunately no money will ever be spent to improve the safety of RPT flights into aerodromes such as Mildura and we can only hope we aren't digging up threads such as this in years to come lamenting what could of saved lives.

Keep up the good work Porter, and spread the word to your fellow aviators to be vigilant in areas where they might tangle with jet RPT aircraft, tell them to keep their transponders on 'ALT' at all times, ensure that the correct frequency is selected and communicate intentions loud and clear.

Last edited by Compylot; 17th Jan 2017 at 10:48.