PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sacked for a Sandwich...
View Single Post
Old 16th Jan 2017, 18:08
Chris the Robot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd love to see just how the same honesty policy applies to managers, senior managers, and CEO's, who are usually quite happy to constantly be in receipt of company largesse - with that often-substantial largesse rarely, or never sighted, by lower-ranking employees.
A few years back I was working for a well-known state owned organisation when I needed to make a domestic business trip. This was during a time when the senior management (and the public in general) wanted to see costs reduced and excesses severely curbed.

I'd selected a hotel (one of the cheapest at about £60/night) with my line manager and it turned out to be unavailable, the fellow from the corporate travel agency recommended one that was a few quid a night more, I said I'd need to check that with my manager.

Manager was fine with it, spoke to the corporate travel agent and he said to me, "you're being very honourable about this but there's really no need to be, I regularly see execs and the investment bankers from your place book hotels at £500/night just for parties".

Says a lot about modern society really.

From the 50's to the 90's a relative of mine worked at a well known brewery, all the employees got free gourmet food, there was a sports and social association complete with a company farm, there were Christmas events put on for the families of the employees. The employees were provided with quality housing owned by the company, rents were affordable and there was an option to purchase. One of the descendants of the founders was often found mucking in with the operations and this was one of the world's largest drinks producers.

Shame that this sort of thing has all but disappeared in favour of the bottom line.