PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tracey Curtis-Taylor (Merged threads)
View Single Post
Old 16th Jan 2017, 16:50
SATCOS WHIPPING BOY

Received 55 Likes on 28 Posts
I think the problem re The Reds etc is one that TCT could have addressed quite well had she gone about this the right way. Encouraging more young women to get involved with aviation and wanting to aim high. To a large extent it has already been addressed, there are now many fine female pilots in the military, commercial civilian and recreational flying worlds; and there has been for a very long time. The Air Cadets for example have allowed female members since the '80s, so the opportunities are now there. For me it is not about gender but about ability and desire. I work closely with my local ATC Sqn and speaking to the cadets, not all of them want to become pilots.

The reds took on their first female pilot back in 2009 so that side has been partially addressed. TCT would like the entire team to be female but not all current female pilots want to be in the team, or they lack the genuine abilities/qualifications. There are some exceptionally good male military pilots out there that just don't make the grade too.

TCT lives in the misogynistic world of the 1930s where gender really did play a part and the likes of Amy Johnson and Mary Heath broke the mould. I think she is bitter that she was never a military pilot and seems to think that if things were different back then she would now be hooning around as a Typhoon QFI/QWI. Sadly, irrespective of gender, she would not have survived 5 minutes at a careers screening interview.
So to answer your question as I see it, The Royal Navy / Royal Marines / Royal Air Force have no reason to encourage what goes on in TCT's fantasy world other than she either talked her way in or people in high places have been beguiled.

SWB