PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turkish Airlines cargo 747 crashes in Kyrgyzstan
Old 16th Jan 2017, 15:11
Magplug

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Parallels are being drawn here with the recent botched 777 go-around at DXB....

I do have my doubts. The Cat II minima for FRU26 in my docs says 350M RVR and RA99'. At the point of deciding to GA and announcing 'Go-Around Flaps 20' the aircraft should have been in a perfect position to land and just short of threshold. The DXB issue of the Boeing TOGA mode becoming unavailable is only after touchdown so that issue should not come into play here.

If however the suggestion is that this aircraft did GA from minima without applying any power then it seems to have flown an unbelievably long distance (4000m runway plus another ~2000m upwind) before it stalled into the ground. I simply don't buy the idea.

There is another possibility - The NGFMC in the 744 generates the characteristic speeds when VNAV selected on the GA... It is also unbelievably unreliable being prone to failures giving inappropriate speed generation and/or complete loss of Autothrottle/VNAV/LNAV functions. Not at all what a tired crew needs going round from a Cat II approach with ****ty weather on minimums.