PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ‘Investigate Tool Control. Why is it important, how is it used in the industry and wh
Old 15th Jan 2017, 21:29
Genghis the Engineer

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts
Hello there,
My name is Umar Khalid. I am currently studying my final year in the University of South Wales and I have chosen ‘Investigate Tool Control’ for my dissertation. Therefore, I was wondering if you could provide me with some information for my research by answering the following questions below. You can simple write the number and then answer it e.g. 1. Follow the answer.
Thanks a lot for your time.
My compliments Umar, a worthwhile dissertation project, and well asked questions.

Survey question
1. Are you involved in tool control in any way?
Yes, I am a manager working with special role aircraft

2. Do you work in the civil or military industry for aircraft maintenance?
Civil, special role, not directly with maintenance myself

3. What is your role in this field of work?
see 1

4. Have you ever been involved in missing tool procedures?
Yes, a number of times.

5. How do you account for tool control and who is accountable?
Everybody is accountable. We operate a system of personal tool tags exchanged for tools.

6. What types of method do you guys follow for tool control currently?
See 5.

7. Does your company/work place provide tool control mandatory training
for current employees and/or induction for new employees? (MCQ) Both only induction only mandatory
Yes, for all new employees. It has been confirmed that all existing employees have been trained on "catchup" when procedures have been amended or reviewed.

8. What are the main points of the policy i.e. who is accountable summery of
handling and protocol for lost tools?
Individuals are assigned personal tool tags, which are stored on a board. They are swapped for tools - the board is kept close to the aircraft. So it can always be seen by checking the (shadow / hole) tool boxes if tools are missing, and the tag board who has tools out.

If tools are missing, tool tags are checked. If none are missing, the aircraft is searched and may not fly until the situation is rectified.

9. Is there any certain requirement your company need to follow as a minimum standard by CAA and/or EASA for tool control procedures?
My specific organisation only deals with the special role kit. We are subject to oversight and audit by our flight ops and maintenance contractors, who are in turn accountable to CAA, but under EASA procedures.[b]

10. Do you audit compliance for tool control inventories?
Tools are checked prior to every flight. We don't do other procedural audits.

11. How often the tools are inventoried in the workplace?
Prior to each aircraft departure, as 10.

Feel free to email me directly if you want to discuss further. I can probably get clearance to send you copies of our procedures.

G