PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Indonesian Citylink Pilot
View Single Post
Old 15th Jan 2017, 19:06
Sam Asama

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ibu Susi

Yes indeed, because of her heritage, her success and of course her unorthodox self, she has large groups of both supporters and detractors. She has also created a lot of enemies (even among her political colleagues) over the years, as you cannot achieve the success she has in business in Indonesia without both the carrot and the stick (paying enablers and tramping on competitors).

But there is another current tide in Indonesia that may be playing a role (is likely playing a role, I think). The repercussions of the current turmoil surrounding the governor of Jakarta are showing up lately in ways they have not in many years. Last week in Jakarta, my wife was asked to cover up in a hair and nail salon. She has been a client there for many years and this was a first (my wife is Indonesian and Jakartan). In a quiet conversation with the owner it became clear that there is a distinct increase of pressure from some sides regarding "respect for Islam".

Susi Pudjiastuti is in so many ways a symbol of what these people do not want to see (especially in a woman) and through her style and personal habits she displays what would be taken to be insulting (perhaps even blasphemous) to Islam (much public consumption of alcohol, dressing in an unconventional way, displaying lots of skin, obvious tatoos, etc).

A complex country and culture(s)...