PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Eurowings Europe F/O
View Single Post
Old 15th Jan 2017, 19:01
Svetlana16

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with many things Denti said. Just I would see the situation more conservative.
Since several years there was very little growth in the German aviation comparing worldwide growth (pls compare date from several sources)
Half year date 2016: Middle East +10.6%, Asia pacific +8.4%, Africa + 8.4%, Europe +3.8% and GERMANY -0,8%

http://www.bdl.aero/de/veroffentlichungen/zahlen-zur-lage-der-branche/
http://www.presseportal.de/pm/113858/3242954
http://www.airliners.de/luftverkehr-in-deutschland-waechst-schwaecher-als-globaler-markt/32509

Actually the "growth" in Germany is the lowest in Europe ( I believe partly because of the stupid taxation but also because of non competitive (too high) salary maybe???....). This was leading to the situation that there was hardly any upgrade within Lufthansa or Air Berlin (upgrade time like 15 Years LH, 10 years AB???)
Quite a few companies went bankrupt such as Hamburg Airlines, Contact Air, OLT, Augsburg Airways etc. Some aviation company that employed pilots were Condor (the Lufthansa Holliday airline - its own Lufthansa pilots went back to their mother company because Condor was sold and Germania, which created a few jobs in the pay-to-fly marked).
I do not see the traffic in Germany that much increasing right now. It's just a major shift of airplanes from one company to another AND a better utilization of equipment (Air Berlin). The real growth of Eurowings Europe is almost non existing.
I heard that Air Berlin now needs a few more pilots because some experienced First officers temporarily left Air Berlin for a captain position in China a while ago when the situation looked another from now.
A real growth in employment would go together with a strong growth in aviation- and this I can't see at the moment for Germany.
Also in the past companies world wide usually would use contract pilots (e.g. Germanwings did this in the past) to cover temporary urgent need of experienced crew. This I can't see at the moment either with Air Berlin or Eurowings, another indication that the real demand probably is not that high at the moment or the demand can be easily arranged by normal scheduling and recruiting.

My humble opinion regarding Lufthansa group staffing is, that they would like to use the wealth of experience and knowledge from the senior Air Berlin First Officers to give them a chance for captaincy within Eurowings Group and open the doors for many desperate ready entry pilots without any flying experience (of cause connected with payment for type rating). The market in Germany and neighboring country's at this moment is full of desperate ATPL ready-entry candidates searching for employment and which are ready to fly for any condition - Lufthansa knows this for sure.

Therefore, I can't see that much of a real chance for EXPERIENCED ready entires pilots going to Eurowings.

With nearly 4000h anybody would be more happy to look for a fast upgrade in companies such as Wizzair or others and comparing to Eurowings, Wizzair really upgrades!! (So far I never heard of anybody who was employed with Eurowings and got his upgrade). Personally I think that nowadays even a 737 rating is much more valuable than an airbus rating to become a captain very quickly.

So to come back to CEDRICO, in your position I would rather look for ANY fast upgrade than a "well known airline" because to become a captain on a major aircraft is everything that counts. As a captain you have generally speaking about two times higher salary and also probably two times higher chances to find employment comparing to a first officer.
In my opinion, going to Eurowings would be very risky. Nobody knows until today if this thing is working or not. What if the deal between LH and Air Berlin will not be approved?
In my opinion the chance that Eurowings would succeed is quite low. Why? Because I have the impression that successful companies grew out of its own, not by taking over other companies having a mix of different cockpit cultures etc. This hardly worked in history and has lead to many failures starting with Swissair etc. Successful companies in general start from zero. Only in this way they can be very efficient AND COMPETITIVE.
Eurowings needs to do something new.....
EasyJet and Ryanair were so successful also because they avoid taxes. Even worse, they use the tax payer to fly to provincial airports.... For example I had the impression when working for them that for the Crews they are holding the yellow carrot in front of you telling you that in xxx years you will also have this salary. It's like buying a ticket with those companies. The final figure is difficult to guess.....
And most of the crew are self employed with those companies having no salary when they are sick etc. Now this is so widely known that this business is not working anymore and 2017 is the year when many countries start to exchange tax information with each other so how can Eurowings close this gap?

*** DLR as a warm up for others will not work since this selection is unique. Even what you study for this test is useless for piloting.
*** with Wizzair for example you have a low brutto salary but many crews are employed via Switzerland and in many countries the cost of living is probably 50% less than Germany. But at the end the biggest issue is actually taxation!!! So please compare net salary / cost of living and things would looke much different.