PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - St. Helena Service
View Single Post
Old 14th Jan 2017, 20:18
lolder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think it's a 7X.
I've watched the Comair B737-800 approach video many times. The first go-around from landing configuration ( triggered by a windshear alert ) I though the aircraft was clearly in a position to continue the landing. The second landing I thought was a well executed crosswind landing. I do not question that there is clearly heavy turbulence from horizontal vortexes and a crosswind that changes from a smooth, significant one to a lesser very turbulent one back to a significant crosswind with the normally associated turbulence. Most of the turbulence is encountered over 1000 ft above ground. I did not see any out of control gyrations. The fact is as you approach the runway, vertical downdrafts decrease because wind can't blow into the ground. There are even dust devils visible on either side of the runway on the touchdown segment so we know it was challenging.
WeatherUnderground shows the wind at St. Helena on April 18, 2016 noon at about 17 mph out of the SE. Reports an hour before and after were 19 and 20 mph. The Comair report allegedly said that winds over 23 mph. were unsafe.

Last edited by lolder; 14th Jan 2017 at 20:42.