PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Shock horror as AirlineRatings names world's safest airline in surprise award!
Old 14th Jan 2017, 18:41
AerialPerspective

Received 64 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by RadioSaigon
haha ok. It was only yesterday I was reading the JACDEC Safest Airline awards, which ranked Cathay No.1, Air NZ No.2 and Qantas... eighth.
But while I'm no fan of GT, world's biggest aviation expert but never worked for an airline - but he did go to work with his Dad... so did I many years ago, but then I worked in the industry for 30 years... Anyway, I can't see by what reasonable criteria Air NZ could be above Qantas... Air NZ have had a hull loss in the last 10 years, Qantas has not had one (touch wood) in the jet age. I bet if we go through... I mean Hainan above QF??? While I understand sometimes it takes number of reported incidents into consideration, that is not a good criteria without significant analysis... some companies act on incidents and have robust systems in place to learn from them others don't - the only credible way to rate safety is over a long-term trend because that includes the element of non-repeat which provides empirical evidence that a company improves or rights itself after an incident of any kind. The JACDEC data has to be flawed. How could QF possible NOT be on top. Not to mention, the A320 was Air NZ's third jet hull loss, DC-8-52, DC-10-30 and A320-200 albeit over 40 years but still... how surprising for a non-Australian ratings agency not to put Qantas on top... and for that matter, where is VA??? 17 years this year without a major incident, how can they not be above NZ???