PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - descent clearance
View Single Post
Old 16th Aug 2003, 15:06
EuroATC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Secondly, the rate will also start to bleed off well before the cleared level to ensure another gentle transition to level flight. You cannot expect someone to maintain a rate of 2500fpm or greater through FL270 for FL260 as per the example you give. The pilot will need to start reducing to around 500-1000 fpm at least 1500' before the cleared level. Possibly even before that depending on the aircraft type and its handling or automation characteristics"

This is basic ATC knowledge and anyone who doesn't understand this should not be sitting behind a radar...

I agree that letting the crew of the aircraft fly and manage the flight is the best way to go. Just tell them where they need to be a xxx level and let them do it... of course as you say with the safety buffer built it...

BUT?? what do you do when they miss the restriction? Then you are screwed ? How do you teach your trainees to get out of that situation?

I have worked in 3 different places now and I have learned so much since my initial validation in Canada. Best way to say it actually is "experience abroad was an eyeopener".. For many different reasons, working methods, traffic patterns, complexity of airspace etc. As my job as an ATCO is to provide a service, I do my best to make it expedition at the same time as ensuring safety but bottom line is that .. I am the one who gets hauled into the office when i lose 5 miles / 1000 feet, my plan might be perfect but when just 1 pilot misses a restriction I am the one getting screwed.. Sorry guys but I am there to protect myself and will keep using those climb and descent rates

Good posts on here, good to see different views