PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Power required and TAS
View Single Post
Old 14th Jan 2017, 10:28
keith williams

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Oggers.

In Post 16 you said:

It is the mass of the jetwash/propwash/propellant that is the measure of its inertia, not “stiffness”.

In post 17 I replied saying:

You are correct in saying that the mass is the measure of its inertia. We only need to look at Newton’s Second Law equation F = MA to see that.
In post 20 you then continued to attempt to convince me of something to which I had already agreed by saying:

The stiffness of the road is irrelevant except insofar as it transfers force to something with more inertia. Stiffness is for springs and structures. In terms of propulsive efficiency it is nothing more than a distraction. The important metric is mass - it is one of the 3 basic quantities of mechanics. Stiffness isn't. A kilo of spuds accelerated by a metre/secē will give you the same reaction as a kilo of air.
This response typifies the approach which you have taken throughout this thread. When faced with comments with which you disagree you ignore them and simply restate the laws of motion.

Your characterization of my comments as [blah blah Fairey Gannet blah] clearly illustrates the fact that you have no intention whatsoever of considering any opinion other than your own. This makes further discussion pointless, so I will make no further comment.