PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Olympic Airways unfair competition ?
View Single Post
Old 8th Mar 2002, 18:49
737type

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You know, it's really a shame. I feel, as a Greek, so much pride when I see an OA 74 or 340 in BOS or JFK but I've also been following the long sad saga of this state enterprise.. .. .GrkDrv's points are right on the money. The books of this operation are totally "plastic" (as is the case with some other state airlines). They're simply based on constant state infusions meant to prop up an airline which, at the very least, is employee heavy and mismanaged. OA had become the biggest "rousfetti" (old Ottoman term for bribe/political favor) of Parliament. People at all levels were being hired based on who they knew and not what they knew. . .. .Granted, I never worked for them, so I don't know all of the "ins-and-outs" but as a passenger it doesn't take long to spot the evidence.. .. .The fact that the EU is launching an even bigger investigation into OA only means that the end can't be far away. . .. .I just hope that whoever picks up the pieces keeps both the Olympic and the Macedonian name. It would be a real shame if they both disappeared from the sky.