PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tracey Curtis-Taylor (Merged threads)
View Single Post
Old 13th Jan 2017, 18:43
9 lives

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I disagree with this unkind, unfounded judgement about her flying abilities.
I understand it's upsetting to read criticism of the flying skills or judgement of a fellow pilot. A part of my role in mentoring during advanced type training I offer to some, may be to save a pilot from themselves. Toward this end, I consider how a pilot presents them self to form an opinion of how they may choose to fly when unsupervised. So when I hear [read] a pilot saying things like:

Curtis-Taylor calls herself a "bit of a maverick".

"I have an ipad with my airspace because that's often a very difficult thing when you fly a vintage aeroplane through so many countries, crossing international borders, through military zones, restricted airspace, into international airports, it's very difficult to do with an aeroplane like this."

"This is an aerobatic aeroplane, so I can be turning steeply around things. I had a lot of training, ironically with some military pilots, and I did a little bit of display flying, and formation flying and aerobatic training, so all of that really came together for these expeditions for the sort of flying that we're doing."

"Sometimes I'm only half a wingspan away from rock faces, or flying the dead sea at about 15 feet in formation with another Stearman."

the first thing she said was "I need a drink!"

I ignored procedure,” she admits, eyes twinkling. “The place was deserted, so I just flew through the gorge. I was hauled over the coals by air traffic control for two hours.

There was another time in Uganda, when I flew into a prohibited zone. The controller gave me the wrong directions, so I ended up over the president’s house. By the time I landed, there was a summons to the tower and they tried to impound the plane. I said, 'That’s ridiculous. Arrest me instead.’”

“I’ve had some rough experiences. I’ve been made to fly at the same altitudes as commercial jets. That’s just dangerous.

"Over the sea, I was flying at 10 feet or below over breeding whales"
I read a pilot who not only will admit to poor pilot self discipline, but will boast about it, and apparently repeatedly. Some of what is quoted above is simply embarrassing! I would be mortified to be quoted having said such things, because it would be a glimpse into my poor piloting attitude.

I wrote:

Yes, I view TCT as still at the "student" to be closely watched skill level - particularly because of what she has written, and how she has flown!
I will allow that perhaps flying a more basic aircraft type, and with no audience to show off to, TCT maybe will demonstrate a bit more of the professional attitude for which she seems to want to receive such public accolade.