PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Canada Rouge at Montego Bay
View Single Post
Old 13th Jan 2017, 16:42
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Final Approach is fully managed.

It is when it is well planned & well executed.

If the thought of hand flying an airliner to the runway brings out cold sweat beads then you might rethink your profession.

It does when your company's culture is agin such heresy. Would you believe that the in some companies it is a requirement on a line check for each to fly an automatic NPA. It is included in the OPC/LPC every 6 months as well. Thus, on a line check the only manual flying demonstrated is the few 00' from MDA to landing. The a/c is fully configured and fully trimmed on speed. OMG how much more easy can it get? So, in all sim checks & line checks the only manual approaches & GA's demonstrated to check criteria are the engine out mandatory items and the base leg from a circling approach.

we'll actually get a rule requiring the issue of 'excess' thrust on GA to be addressed.

PM to PF, "I think the ROC is excessive." PF to PM "I'll reduce thrust a little then." PM to PF, "Great idea."

First rule of piloting. Keep the a/c performance under control at all times. Full power is not always your friend. Enough is enough, as Rolls Royce used to claim in their cars.