PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-35 Cancelled, then what ?
View Single Post
Old 13th Jan 2017, 15:36
A_Van

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK, I respect your opinion, but still have mine. I wonder if you are in high-tech s/w business now to be so sure? I am, for many years after my retirement, and I see and periodically hear about that in many countries around the world. Even some 15-20 years ago it was already the case at NASA and some its primes which I worked with.

I have no time to thoroughly look for some recent numbers, but the following article dated 2008 is still valid I think:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/25/us/25engineercnd.html

There, Paul Kaminski is mentioned - a person whom I respect greatly and who managed to raise the bar for advanced software technologies very high when he was Under Secretary of Defense for Acquisition and Technology (mid 90's).

Here is an excerpt from the above article with some numbers (NYT, not a Russian propaganda :-) I also hope you know what is M.I.T.

---
"At M.I.T., a 2007 survey showed 28.7 percent of undergraduates were headed for work in finance, 13.7 in management consulting but just 7.5 percent in aerospace and defense. The top 10 employers included McKinsey, Google, Morgan Stanley, Lehman Brothers, Bain, JP Morgan and Oracle — but not a single defense contractor or government office.
The same survey showed the average annual starting salary in finance and high-tech was more than $70,000, compared with $37,000 at the Defense Department. The average in the defense industry was $61,000.
MIT does not have comparable survey data for 10 or 15 years ago, but officials there say the trend is unmistakeable."