PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bought myself a drone and anorak
View Single Post
Old 13th Jan 2017, 14:57
clareprop

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
To those who don't actually own a drone but nevertheless feel able to comment about them knowledgeably, some information.
I have a 'mid-level professional' drone, the one piperboy has looks to me like it is a DJI entry level pro device. Both have a very comprehensive firmware suite which is constantly being updated automatically. For instance, the firmware restricts height. It also installs a constantly updated database of airfields and restricted zones which stops the drone flying in those locations. Some restrictions (if you perhaps have permission to film at an airfield) may be over ridden by registered users. The drones in question also have high-intensity illumination which means they can be seen from a very long distance. Most professional users however, do not use them at a distance much further than 250 metres. Toy drones, in the main don't have these features nor do they have the intelligent flight management systems of the expensive drones. This means they get lost, crash, have rubbish cameras and the owners quickly get bored of their 200gm piece of plastic thereby removing whatever tiny risk such a device might present. My drone cost over £4000. The entry level pro drones cost at least £1000 with the various bits and pieces. They get looked after.