PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Canada Rouge at Montego Bay
View Single Post
Old 13th Jan 2017, 05:30
Sky Slug

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Most modern aircraft CAN be a handful on a go-around. Can't find it at mom but in the early days of the A320 at LTN one went around & if I remember got to 13000 ft before the crew got it under control. (G/A alt = 3000ft). I had one almost get to the stall (into VLS) on an automatic go-around. (I disconnected & flew it before anything serious happened). This is not a AB Boeing thing as Boeing have had their fair share.
So I believe a lot of pilots subconsciously resist go arounds. The crew in question had already "lost it" so going around probably didn't enter their conscious thought.
Working out of New York, I might do a go-around twice or three times a year. If you think it's difficult, where have you been flying? Even on short final, it's a simple procedure. It's a handful, but easily manageable. Disconnect A/P, clean up the aircraft and either hand fly, my preferred method -- or dial in the direction, speed, altitude for the go-around. The last thing I want to be doing is fooling around with A/P dials and autothrottle while needing to navigate. I'm afraid of missing some direction or misusing autothrottle if I'm using A/P in such a situation. I'd rather just take control to get the a/c back to approach and then dial in A/P.

Last edited by Sky Slug; 13th Jan 2017 at 06:07.