PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A License to Learn
View Single Post
Old 12th Jan 2017, 23:45
9 lives

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What were "those conditions" that made a safe landing impossible?
For the yellow Beaver which was crashed on the movie filming - the "cover" of the video (as I realize there are other events in that video), Landing into a tight mountainous lake, which is glassy water is triple trouble. Glassy = no wind, so no advantage from that, the least of the concerns. The approach flown as seen either had to be unusually steep, or circling, each more challenging than a normal approach. But, it is the glassy water condition which makes both long final, and the flare very difficult to judge. This is evident from the outcome - the pilot did not really flare, it does not seem that he correctly judged height so as to enable a proper flare.

Landing in a place like that is best done with a lot of understanding of the topography and visual cues, and planning accordingly. A high reconnaissance view can be difficult to accomplish, particularly when there is time pressure.

I've had to fly that landing, in a 182 amphibian, onto a lake I'd never landed on before, surrounded by 5000 foot mountains, with no wind, glassy, very clear water, with 100 people watching the event. I arranged to drive to the lake first, and stood from shore to assess things. Flying a circuit inside those mountains was really tight, but a straight in was not possible, it had to be a spiral down turning final. It worked, but it was a pucker factor landing, and in perfectly clear blue sky conditions.

That is the point of the title - pilots who are genuinely competent flying an aircraft in some conditions, or a certain environment (topography) may be completely out of their element in that 'plane in other conditions. They must recognize all by themselves, that the license they have earned to fly that aircraft, is a license to learn in some of the conditions that they could encounter - and they need to know how to recognize that, and adjust or decline that flight accordingly.

Many times while providing type training, I have said to my charge, that they should be afraid. "Huh!?" is the common reaction, and I repeat myself for affect. Sometimes pilots (maybe new to a type, or situation, need to have their sense of danger and risk recalibrated. They need to learn with their license.