PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Australian pilots can work for US regionals.
Old 12th Jan 2017, 23:44
havick

Received 46 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by lvnthedream...
Is your mate self funding the FAA ATP? Or is that being covered by PDT? It appears to be a slightly more costly process to convert these days compared to a few years ago...
PDT should cover it. It's part of the type ride anyway so there's no extra cost compared to any other new hire that doesn't already have an ATP in hand. Anyone else would also have to do the CTP course, written and then ATP test as part of your final ride on initial equipment course which PDT or any other regional is covering these days.

Take my situation I went to envoy with my FAA helicopter atp but no FAA fixed wing license at all. They put me through the CTP course at CAE, I paid for my written, then Envoy takes care of my fixed wing ATP on my check ride. I just had to get my Aussie fixed wing license and IR verified by FAA/CASA as that can be used as the basis qualification so long as it's from an ICAO state (just read the FAR part 61). The verification letter is valid for 6 months so you need to time it right to have it in your hand for you interview and then enough time left on it for start date and initial training otherwise you will need a new verification letter to take your flight test if the letter has expired.

There is literally no extra expense to the company in the process except for the fact a foreign pilot needs to get their license verification and TSA clearances for the jet sims which is a lead time thing not really a big cost at all.

Hope this helps.

**note: for what it's worth I know PDT and Skywest are definitely taking Aussies on E3's. Envoy are not at the moment and I have no idea if they will in the future or not, you would have to check with the recruiting department. I'm not sure about the rest.

Last edited by havick; 13th Jan 2017 at 02:19.