PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Who else deserved and missed out on an award.
Old 12th Jan 2017, 15:07
Union Jack

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
NL, interesting, so the Telegraph obituary assumed he had the GC - PN

Along with several other sources apparently.

What a modest yet clearly proud man, and interested to see that Captain Gregson was evidently properly treated as a GC holder in view of the photograph in John Gregson GC which seems to illustrate a bronze Albert Medal (Sea), known as the Albert Medal 2nd Class until 1917. I also read that some 15 people altogether declined to exchange their previous award for the GC, and one cannot help wondering how this may have affected any entitlement to the GC Annuity, currently £10000 pa in the UK, especially observing that Captain Gregson was born and brought up in the UK before later adopting NZ nationality.

On a lighter note, I was amused to read in
Bay war hero honoured for valour after torpedo holes ship - Bay of Plenty Times - Bay of Plenty Times News that "I was knocked unconscious but wasn't seriously injured. I was the sight-setter on a 14-inch gun on the stern of the ship." Clearly a typo in lieu of "four inch", since 14 inch guns were the main armament only in such major war vessels as the KGV Class battleships.

Also thoroughly agree re John Surtees.

Jack