PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 737 800 fan blades and icy tail.
View Single Post
Old 11th Jan 2017, 22:43
Snakecharma

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
Not at all, if it is your thing to check it go for your life but dont criticise people who don't do it or who don't see the value in it.

If it was a safety critical issue it would be in the manufacturer's documentation.

It isn't so it is clearly something that someone (not the manufacturer) has decided is a good idea. It may well be a good idea, but if the manufacturer, who has some experience in cold weather operations, doesn't think it is of such critical importance, then perhaps it is a nice to do not a must do.

I have never done it on any of the jet types I have flown, never seen any suggestions to do it, and I have flown across Europe, North America and Asia. Doesn't mean I know it all, but never seen it mentioned.

Things tend to take on a life of their own and become "safety critical" when in fact they are just the product of someone deciding that they reckon it is a good idea. All of a sudden if you don't do it, you don't know what you are doing "because even cadets know to check...."