PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Canada Rouge at Montego Bay
View Single Post
Old 11th Jan 2017, 21:16
Kerosine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My word Britanica that was a challenging read, though I suspect either typing on a small screen or a few glasses of wine are to blame

Very interesting reading overall. My airline encourages manual flying withing the bounds of "appropriate" conditions and has a seemingly benign but effective reporting system, where crews aren't generally called into question for a go-around decision due instability/other.

That being said the "culture" of the airline is towards keeping it well within the bounds of automatics+vectors+ILS. Flying manually with A/THR off isn't so common, nor are visual approaches (partly due to ever restrictive noise control). I don't think I've ever seen a raw data non-precision approach on the line.

Flying a manual/visual approach and messing it up (that is, go-around, nothing heroic) would be intensely embarrassing I would expect, almost a sort of bravado gone wrong, thought in other flying environments it would be considered more as a fact of life when flying a plane.

Hard to pin down why, but I'd say we're in ever more dangerous territory with regards to decaying flying skills and automatics mis-management, and unfortunately in this automation no-man's land we're risking slowly re-enforcing the idea that we might be better replaced with computers entirely.