PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Canada Rouge at Montego Bay
View Single Post
Old 11th Jan 2017, 17:00
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It will drift off the thread, but the question was asked. Gehenna asked, and has the correct attitude. I used to beat into my students that every takeoff was an RTO until V, and every approach was a GA until TR's were selected. GA training in the sim is very little of training and more tick in the box stuff. An ATC wave off at 50' is a non event. An automatic GA at 30' LVO is a non event. A W/S ahead GA is a non event. When it goes wrong is when it is rushed and complicated. One airline in my portfolio had such a rushed 2 engine GA SOP, with lots of mouth music and actions close to the ground, that it was so easy to make a real mess; and often it was. Take it slowly & relaxed, but expedite. Treat it like a takeoff, that manoeuvre we do every day. (Why oh why did B737 reinvent the acceleration to be via the flap lever and not the MCP window????? And why retract the flaps at 400'???????) Don't panic with fire walled thrust levers and lots of screaming.

If a GA is the default of any approach it should never be a surprise. It should be a simple manoeuvre. So why is it messed up so often?
1. It is often rushed and SOP complicated.
2. It is not the same sequence as a normal takeoff.
3. It is seldom trained in recurrency.

I still remember the most important learning experience of my commercial apprenticeship. An IMC GA at Le Bourget as a young biz-jet RHS'er. & a CAVOK GA as F/O in B732 due to wind shifts on short finals and a subsequent long landing on a short runway. Both were a huge learning experience and both were a non event due to the character in LHS.

Other opinions and solutions invited.