PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is CTC the only way to get an airline job?
Old 11th Jan 2017, 11:33
portsharbourflyer
Educated Hillbilly

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It is a big debateable subject about the relevance of Day VFR hours to the Airline World. But take the Air France Incident, that was an example of two pilots who (I believe I am correct on this) had gone straight from Integrated training to the Airbus with no other flying experience between. Although the Airbus Side stick philosophy contributed to the incident, the fact these two had gone straight to an A320 probably didn't help the situation. I just wish Europe would introduce an hours requirement like America has.

It isn't so much that the day VFR hours have relevance but these Integrated courses tend to attract those that want to be airline pilots rather than those that want to fly for a living and have a true passion for flying. Having to go and do some actual hand on flying of some form just demonstrates a level of dedication to flying. I think it is still better to have that 1000 hours of hands on time than not. Anyway irrelevant what I say; the industry in Europe is shifting the other way, the MPL means the new cadets have even less real flying time.