PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QF 7879 routes
Thread: QF 7879 routes
View Single Post
Old 11th Jan 2017, 04:20
MrWooby

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ah, that's the fun of long haul flying ! In this case I am talking about the 2nd leg of AUS-EUR trip, so you have already had the AUS-ASIA flight together, and can liaise re the next nights flying.

But really, whats worse, all crew turning up fully rested for the evening 13 hour flight. First crew member goes off for rest and can't sleep, he comes back tired, next guy goes off, probably gets a small amount of sleep but ends up that the first guy calls him back because he is now too tired. The end result is descent into destination with all crew fatigued.

Many times, when the other crew member went off for the first break, the said they they probably couldn't sleep for the first half, I'd say "come back whenever you want", generally I would end up calling them back at half way. This worked out to be about 5-6 hours rest in pretty close to your normal sleep times in AUS, they would be fully rested for the rest of the flight.

Basically its long haul flying, out of your time zone, etc etc, we are all fatigued by this sort of flying. Mandating set rest times doesn't work, its up to each person to do what's best for himself and to work with the other crew members to ensure a safe flight.

Last edited by MrWooby; 11th Jan 2017 at 04:31.