PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ADS-B ground stations
View Single Post
Old 11th Jan 2017, 03:54
PPRuNeUser0201

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by underfire
as noted

again, where does AUS differentiate? If not, why?
Mandating an antiquated protocol that the rest of the World has passed by?

time to evolve:
echo ATT-20B ? uAvionix

The SkyEcho ATT-20B has been approved for use in the United Kingdom under the Civil Aviation Publication (CAP) 1391 Electronic Conspicuity program. What does this mean? You can increase your safety in the air and enjoy the benefits of ADS-B for a fraction of the cost of installing it in your aircraft.
Weighing just 50 grams SkyEcho broadcasts your aircraft type, position, altitude, course and speed to surrounding aircraft in real-time, while the integrated ADS-B receiver allows you receive and display traffic information from surrounding aircraft using an EFB (Electronic Flight Bag) such as Skydemon or a GDL90 compatible EFIS display via Wi-Fi.
Australia differentiates by not mandating it for VFR aircraft rather than by airspace.

I'm not sure why you say "ADS-B is an antiquated protocol that the rest of the world has passed by" either. Most states are going towards this technology instead of replacing expensive radars. In fact ICAO has even recommended this in many cases! And given that most mandates around the world haven't come into effect yet, and NavCanada is pouring millions into Space based ADS-B, I would suggest this is the way forward for ATC surveillance for a long time to come yet.

I support your notion about being time to evolve with regards to the acceptable types of equipment though. And hopefully CASA is looking at it this very minute to allow non-TSO'd equipment for a number of circumstances so these cheaper options can be used in anger here in Oz - at least for VFR situational awareness and for ATC to provide unverified traffic to IFR flights.

BREAK

And apologies for drifting away from the original intent of the thread!!

Last edited by PPRuNeUser0201; 11th Jan 2017 at 03:56. Reason: To bring the discussion back to the intent of the original thread.