PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Newbie & Flying Training Advice (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 10th Jan 2017, 10:53
Chiefofchieftans

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Levi,

To get into an airline you will need to have at least your HSC completed. For the HSC you need to complete 10 units of study. This will be 5 subjects. The easiest way to complete this would be through TAFE. So your best bet is to call up or visit your local TAFE. Also, you wouldn't be able to get into the UNSW course or get access to the VET Fee Help at Basair without it. (Im pretty sure having a HSC is a requirement to get Vet Fee access). Again you're better off calling Basair or requesting an info pack from their website.

Once you get that done you can obtain your CPL from a number of different operators and still have access to Vet Fee Help. Basair is not the only place. The CPL is the bare license that will allow you to work in a commercial operation.

The ATPL isn't as straight forward as you may think it is. It requires an instrument rating, 7 theoretical exams, a course in multi crew cooperation, 1500 aeronautical hours & a flight test, thus "unfreezing" your ATPL. This is why its not advertised on flight schools as its not a license that they can just hand out. They can only help you complete the theory subjects which you could also choose to self study.

If you google " CASR 61.700 & CASR 61.705" you will get a breakdown of the requirments of an ATPL.

The CPL is what you will use to build the required hours for the ATPL. Their are many ways to build hours which have already been covered on this forum so I won't go into it. I don't know where you got the $200k figure from, but I don't know too much about what all these operators are charging with their VET approvals.

I also can't comment on the Asia or Europe job topic as I myself have just finished everything & am in the process of looking for work as an instructor.

Best of luck,

Chief.