PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Newbie & Flying Training Advice (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 10th Jan 2017, 02:20
LeviLavel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pilot training Sydney/ATPL

Hey, everyone, I'm Levi, This is my first post so forgive me if I ask questions that have been addressed. I've had no luck with search since the search terms I need to use are more common than oxygen.

I have two questions which I'm struggling to find answers for with Google alone. My first concern is meeting education criteria because I have not finished my HSC. What should I do to meet educational standards set by most airlines? Is there a way of completing HSC through TAFE with just three subjects? Maths Extention 3, Physics & English? That would be perfect (BTW why is high school level English required if one possesses ICAO English proficiency Level 6??)

And I've noticed that every time I try to search for ATPL course providers in Sydney area, UNSW is the only one I can find. I enquired with them, and it is very expensive. $126,000 - $140,000 for Flying fees with $100,000 limit for FEE HELP. $40,000 upfront cost + HECS debt for the Bachelor Degree which includes ATPL & elective of your choice (Instructor rating for example) ... Ludacris. Totals approx $200k

So I'm leaning towards finishing my CPL with Basair instead, but they do not offer ATPL, What should I do after completing CPL @ Blair to get my ATPL? And how do you unfreeze it? Just by adding hours to your logbook?

I'm happy to work overseas in Asia or Europe, Where ever the pilot supply can't meet demand I'm going there as the expat to build hours on contract work. That's fine with me. I rather start as the second officer on a B777 overseas than flying regional in Australia.

Thanks for reading