PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air safety investigators MD11
View Single Post
Old 9th Jan 2017, 13:08
EstorilM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does the wing size in relation to the aircraft weight play a large role in the flare behavior? Common sense would seem to dictate so, but then again aerodynamic performance and behaviors are obviously about a thousand times more complicated than meets the eye.

Still, the A330 with a relatively low wing loading, is known to "float" or want to stay in the air, while the "clipped wing" / larger / heavier mods to the MD-11 would tend to imply the opposite (which is a known design feature of the aircraft) however the opposite landing tendencies seem to apply as well. I'd imagine wing loading starts to play a large role when ground effect kicks in.

Anyways, as the others have said - "tail surfaces" control totally different "dynamics" of the aircraft. The hstab can be "clipped" to reduce drag, however it's opposing force to the wing will be reduced (at least, proportionately so) - obviously in level / normal flight this is not an issue. At first glance you'd be able to infer slightly diminished pitch control authority, though I'm sure they tuned the controls to "feel" almost the same.

However you can't dodge physics, so I imagine at low speeds and near stall / on approach or flare, the impacts of shrinking the hstab have some unforseen impacts as well.

Rudder / tail is totally different - that remained almost the same - as others have said, it's a function of length mostly (which is also why the short but HEAVY A380 has a massive vertical stabilizer.)