PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 8th Jan 2017, 18:57
Fareastdriver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Young FED nearly dug a hole on the short runway at Oakington. It was a formation sortie and the normal T/O procedure for a three ship was a pair getting airborne in formation with the third at five seconds. In this case I was the only stude as an instructor was flying No3 on staff continuation. This being so we were going to do a Vic takeoff.

We lined up on the short runway and got under way. I had never flown off the short runway before and I was a bit concerned as we crossed the intersection with notta lot of airspeed on. The leader then surged ahead as he opened up to full chat instead of the 500 rpm flex that we had to maintain position. I didn't lose much distance and as his wheels left the ground the surface changed from tarmac to grass. Luckily I was good at formation flying which is why all three of us managed to fit inside the gap in the trees at the airfield boundary.

There was a bit of inter-instructor bitching when we landed as No 3 pointed out that formation take offs were prohibited on the short runway.

Didn't do him any harm; he later led the Red Arrows.