PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Calling all ex-Wessex personnel
View Single Post
Old 8th Jan 2017, 16:20
peterperfect

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well said Geoffers. Great AFCS and auto transition programme, I flew WxIIIs at PO until we decommissioned them up to Wroughton. well, those that didn't spit fire after their fir tree roots let rip...
However whether favouring the single or twin engined variety; what a fantastic airframe and a joy to fly an aircraft you 'mount', rather than 'board' ?

Dit On: I was stand-in sea-daddy to the last USN exchange pilot to convert to the Wessy 3. He was a well-experienced SH-2 Seasprite guy, from Norfolk VA or Mayport FL I and highly 'small ship' suited but not a natural fan of low level ASW IFR hovering (35 ft?). On his joining day he did a tour of the squadron and hangar (before his intro appointment with Wings before the 1700Z O Club acquaint across the runway) we took him up to a cockpit for a shuftie and after a while saw him 'double take' the cockpit gauges and a metaphoric thinks bubble appear..... On asking if he had any questions he said he was looking for the second needle on all the double tachos showing each engine's Ng, T4/PTIT, oil prx etc.
I informed him there was only one donk....

Turns out that when offered the exchange he had first looked in Janes before accepting and saw a total of 4 exhausts, and naturally assumed (being an active ASW machine) there must be at least two engines under the bonnet. "You damn crazy Brits (and I know Aussies) was the retort" ! Now he knew why we didn't have dry ships, especially DLGs.

Happy Happy Days !!!!