PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aurigny Air Services
View Single Post
Old 8th Jan 2017, 15:32
toscana24

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by virginblue
re mail order, I was referring to mail orders by the 2.000 or so people living on the island. I assume that particularly because of the lack of a choice of shops and larger department stores on the island, a lot of folks would resort to mail orders from Amazon and the likes - and these orders must be delivered somehow to the island. So is all that stuff flown into the island or is there parcel mail (and food) just once a week? I am surprised that the needs of 2.000 people can be catered for by a ship that calls once a week and cargo that be squeezed into 19seat passenger planes.
Yes exactly. Only the weekly boat for food etc. Aurigny is the way in (and out) for people, mail (including parcels) and newspapers. Bumblebee has increasingly come into play for mail/parcels when Aurigny fail (as they have often done in the last year or so). There are no other options (currently). That is why there is such a strength of feeling on Alderney re the performance of Aurigny. That said I personally have flown with the airline many many times to or from ACI and it has to be said that the pilots (and ATC etc) do a great job in the face of weather and scheduling challenges.