PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot arrested in Calgary, charged with being impaired before takeoff Sunwing plane
Old 8th Jan 2017, 13:22
737Not good

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To +TRSA

I think your information is incorrect, and trust me I know as I worked very closely with this company from the regulator perspective...you guess my role!

The agreement between SWG and TVS is a reciprocal agreement where they share pilots seasonally. It has been going on for years as far back as he Sky days. I agree it has fallen off the rails, however this is many pay grades above TC who regulates the industry. If a pilot shows up at the sim and has a FLVS, we ensure he passes our system. In many cases training programs need amending to accommodate this, i.e. the Germans do not do upset training, hence it's built into their training prior to a PPC. and yes, again misinformed, they must complete a training program and PPC before touching a Canadian A/C. If it's a wet lease, that is a different issue.

As stated here by a wise man, Canadians are flying all over the world, so to say we won't have it here is simply is not going to happen. Wasn't this thread about pilots abusing the drinking rules? Let's face it, this guy paints us all in a bad light (also pointed out here), however we all have a duty and care with our own life's especially when we are at work as professionals.

It's the knee jerk reaction that simply is an attempt to make the travelling public safe again that makes our profession jump through hoops for little to no measurable gain. The Minister, Marc Garneau has now imposed that by Feb 15, 2017 every 705 carrier in Canada must provide a process that ensures their pilots are "fit to fly" REALLY! What's next? The Chief pilot must visit every cockpit to ensure they are, "Fit to Fly". Wait for it folks, it's coming to your household, regulation that states, you must ensure every family member it fit to drive prior to giving them the keys....

I thought once we got rid of Lisa Raitt with her two crew members in the flight deck debacle and getting an actual pilot as Minister, we'd have some sort of sanity...I'm wrong again....

As for our drunk friend he will never fly in Canada ever...assuming his own company and country will do the same.

Happy flying